Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Job Offer

My job offer with the principal of Metro Early College High School was scheduled at 7:30 AM on Thursday, August fourth, a mere hour and a half before I was scheduled to attend the substitute orientation with the Educational Services Center. I arrived approximately twenty minutes early and found the doors still locked. The principal arrived near 7:25, greeted me at the door and led me to her office.

I was (and still am) very impressed by the principal. Ms. Kennedy immediately seemed to have her life together: she was well-spoken, kind and professional. She was dressed in a lovely suit with perfect hair and makeup. We sat in her office and we spoke in a friendly manner about my resume.
"So how is it you decided to become a teacher?"

"Well, I probably took the most circuitous route here. I started college as a fine art and psychology major. After that I worked in child care, and when I was admitted to OSU to study art history, I moved to Columbus. I spent five years in that program and felt very out-of-place. I asked myself what I enjoyed about art history, and my answer was 'teaching'. So I asked myself, 'Why don't I go teach, then?' And so that's what I did. And I'll tell you, I always thought that people who said they were 'born to do something' were full of it, but I really was born to teach. I feel at home in the classroom."

Ms. Kennedy smiled and nodded kindly while I elaborated by most recent decade.

"Well, I spoke with Caroline, and she had wonderful things to say about you." Professor Caroline Clark had written an amazing letter of recommendation for me, and it seemed her word carried some clout in the educational world.

"She is amazing." I replied truthfully.

"Yes. Well, based on this interview and her raving recommendation, I'd like to offer you a job here at Metro."

"I would love to accept that job," I beamed. A job offer! After the months - years really - of searching for a job I would love, I believed I had truly found it. Ms. Kennedy and I had not discussed pay or benefits, but I was eager to take this job.

"Well, here's our pay schedule. With a Master's degree and this being your first year, you would start here." Ms. Kennedy pointed to a cell on a spreadsheet printed on a paper. For a moment, my heart stopped. From student teaching, I knew that the classroom was where I belonged. The number at which my new principal pointed was a terribly modest amount, but it was still more than I would have taken to do what I love. I accepted the job immediately, and I was sent to fill out paperwork.

No comments:

Post a Comment